- verb to start a process or to make something start working
- verb to make a system or a piece of equipment or a procedure start to work or to operate
- verb to start a process or to make a device start working
- verb to make a button or menu option or field on a screen layout available to a user
- To start a sequence or process. For example, to enter a computer command to initiate a sequence.
- To make operational. For example, the adding of liquid to a battery or cell to make it operational.
- To treat a substance or material to make it more effective for a designated purpose. For example, the treatment of a cathode to improve its thermionic emission.
- To induce an action. For example, inducing radioactivity in a non-radioactive element by bombarding it with neutrons.
- To accelerate an action. For example, the use of a catalyst to bond a resin more quickly.
Information & Library Science
- verb to cause something to start working
- verb to make a device operate