- noun the act of making something start to work or to operate
- The initiation of a sequence or process. For example, the entering of a computer command to initiate a sequence.
- The process of making operational. For example, the adding of liquid to a battery or cell to make it operational.
- The treatment of a substance or material to make it more effective for a designated purpose. For example, the treatment of a cathode to improve its thermionic emission.
- The inducing into an action. For example, inducing radioactivity in a non-radioactive element by bombarding it with neutrons.
- The acceleration of an action. For example, the use of a catalyst to bond a resin more quickly.
- noun the process of getting into an alert state of readiness for action