Cars & Driving
- noun a controlling or operating device, e.g. a vacuum mechanism for opening flaps in air-conditioning systems
- noun a mechanical device that can be controlled by an external signal, e.g. the read/write head in a disk drive
- In hydraulics, a motor or cylinder designed to convert hydraulic energy into mechanical energy.
- A device or circuit that initiates or activates an event or process. For example, a switch that opens or closes an electric circuit.
- In robotics, a device which moves a component, such as a manipulator, in response to signals from the controller. Such a device may be electric, hydraulic, mechanical, or pneumatic. Also called robotic actuator, or effector.
- synonymaccess arm