Cars & Driving
- noun a device for connecting two parts of different sizes, especially an accessory for joining a socket and a drive handle with different size drives
- noun a device that allows two or more incompatible devices to be connected together
- Any device designed to match the size or characteristics of one item to those of another, particularly in the plumbing, air-conditioning, and electrical trades.
- A device which enables connections between one thing and another, such as an AC adapter, or an Ethernet adapter.
- A fitting utilized to connect jacks, plugs, and the like, to that of another format.
- A device that makes electrical or mechanical connections between items not meant to be connected.
- A device which alters something so that it becomes suitable for a use for which it was not intended.
Information & Library Science
- noun somebody who adapts a literary work to another format, e.g. a novel to a play
- a device which converts a single plug socket into two, three or four sockets
- noun something which holds a piece of equipment in a different way