- adjective referring to flowers, buds, or leaves that are arranged singly at different heights on either side of a stem, rather than being in pairs or groups
- noun an aerodrome of second choice to be used if the aircraft cannot be landed at the aerodrome of first choice because of bad weather, etc.
- verb to change from one state to another and back, over and over again
- A specified item of construction that is set apart by a separate sum. An alternate may or may not be incorporated into the contract sum at the discretion and approval of the owner at the time of contract award.
- verb to do something by turns or in rotation
Information & Library Science
- adjective occurring regularly at one time and then missing a time but occurring again the next time
- verb to cause things to happen alternately
- verb to change from one thing or activity to another (often repeatedly)