- An intimate London theater that became home to small-scalerevues and Agatha Christie's record-breaking play The Mousetrap.Designed as a pair with the next-door St Martin's Theatre, it openedin 1913 and is decorated in Louis XVI style; the auditorium is adornedwith ambassadorial crests. The venue was renamed the New AmbassadorsTheatre in 1999 but reverted to its original name in 2007.
The Ambassadors originally specialized in revues. It was thefirst theater in England to introduce the 'intimate revue', a formwhich became hugely popular during World War II. Many of these, suchas Sweet and Low (1943), starred Hermione Gingold. During thewar the theater also remained open for matinee performances of theBallet Rambert.
On 25 November 1952 the Ambassadors presented the first performanceof The Mousetrap, which ran there for more than 21 years with8862 performances. It later moved next-door to the St Martin's Theatre,where it still runs. Post-Mousetrap productions at the Ambassadorshave varied widely, ranging from the RSC's 1987 success with ChristopherHampton's Les Liaisons dangereuses to the "rock 'n' roll rave"From A Jack to A King (1992) and Conor McPherson's ghost story TheWeir (1997). Recent productions have included an award-winning revival ofSondheim's Sweeney Todd (2005), the 50th-anniversary revival of Peter Hall's Waiting for Godot (2006), and the dance theaterperformance Stomp (since 2007).