Cars & Driving
- noun a device used to produce a larger electrical signal, as to amplify sound signals in radios, etc.
- noun an electronic circuit that magnifies the power of a signal
- An electronic device used to increase the magnitude of an electrical signal without changing the quality of the signal.
- A component, circuit, or device which produces an output signal that is greater than the input signal, ideally without altering the essential characteristics of said input signal. Amplifying devices and components include electron tubes, transistors, and distribution amplifiers. Its abbreviation is amp.
Information & Library Science
- noun an electronic device for making signals sound louder
- noun a device that makes sounds louder, especially one which increases the sound level of musical instruments
- noun a machine which makes a sound louder