- noun the design of computer programs and systems that attempt to imitate human intelligence and decision-making functions, providing basic reasoning and human characteristics.
- The capacity for creative or original thought in machines. Artificial intelligence is a major field of computer research and of immense importance in astronomy and space. It could help make deep space probes, especially to other stars, practical by giving them the ability to repair themselves, and could also have a role in space stations and orbiting observatories of the future.
- Computer systems that solve problems symbolically rather than algorithmically. Similar to the warning, decision-making, and problem-solving process in the human brain.
- The branch of computing whose goal is to faithfully display human intelligence and behaviors. Some of the areas that have seen great progress are voice recognition, expert systems, and robotics.
- The ability of a computer to learn from its own mistakes and to adapt.
Information & Library Science
- noun the design and development of computers which attempt to imitate some human characteristics.