- noun a graphical symbol used in many operating systems to mean ‘any character’
- noun a graphical symbol (*) used in programming as a sign for multiplication
- noun a graphical symbol (*) used as a wild card in many operating systems, including DOS, to mean any characters
- A character, *, which may be utilized to represent a string of wildcard characters, as opposed to a single wild card, which is usually represented by ?.
- In most computer operating systems, a character which serves to denote multiplication, as seen, for instance, in: 7*3.
Information & Library Science
- noun a symbol in the form of a star (*) used to mark things to be noted
- verb to mark something with an asterisk or a star-shaped symbol, especially to draw attention to it
- noun a symbol (*) used to indicate that there is a footnote relating to the text after which the symbol appears. Asterisks are also used to replace letters of words which cannot be printed in full because they are considered obscene.