- A rating for a transmission medium through which a wave passes, such as a cable, which gives the rate of amplitude decrease in the direction of travel. Expressed in decibels or nepers per unit length. It is the real number component of the propagation constant. Its symbol is α. Also called attenuation factor, attenuation characteristic, attenuation coefficient (1), or attenuation rate.
- synonymattenuation characteristic
- synonymattenuation coefficient
- synonymattenuation factor
- synonymattenuation rate
- The decrease of the amplitude of a signal as a function of the frequency.