- adjective working by itself without the need of an operator
- adjective working or taking place without any person making it happen
Cars & Driving
- Descriptive of any device activated by the environment or a predetermined condition, such as a ventilator that opens at a given temperature.
- A component, device, system, or process which does not require intervention, human or otherwise. It may have self-acting and/or self-regulating mechanisms, and utilize an autonomous information processing system. Also, pertaining to any such component, device, system, or process.
Information & Library Science
- adjective able to operate by itself without constant user input
- adjective done without conscious thought
- adjective able to work by itself, without anyone giving instructions
- noun a firearm which will continue to reload itself and fire for as long as pressure is applied to the trigger (e.g. a machine-gun)