- noun working by yourself, without being managed
(written as Autonomy)The general ethical principle in medicine of respecting an individual's freedom from external interference and their right to self-determination (subject to like rights for all, and - perhaps - to the individual having a specified set of mental capacities). Along with the principles of beneficence, nonmaleficence and justice, it completes the so-called 'four principles' of health care ethics.
Information & Library Science
- noun the opportunity to make one’s own decisions without being told what to do by somebody else
- noun in aesthetic theory, independence, without relying on any other idea, cultural form or value
- noun the state of being free to act as one wishes
- noun the power of a region to govern itself within a larger political unit