- noun the part of a broking firm where the paperwork involved in buying and selling shares is processed
- noun the part of a bank where cheques are processed, statements of account drawn up and other administrative tasks are done
- noun the general administration department of a company
- noun a secure area of e-commerce software containing details of a company’s store properties and products and tax tables
- Refers to the activities of a firm that are necessary to its functioning but are not directly part of production, such as accounting. Such activities, despite the name that suggests a location behind the shop or shop floor, are increasingly done at remote locations, including in other countries, as business process outsourcing.
- The unit of a forex dealer or financial institution responsible for administrative functions such as settlements, clearances, records, regulatory compliance, and accounting. Most back office operations are now computerized.