- noun an amount of money still to be paid from a larger sum owed
- verb to make something stay in position without falling
- noun a state in which two sides are equal or in proportion
- noun a device for weighing, made with springs or weights
- verb to plan something so that two parts are equal or in proportion
- verb to provide an opposite and equal weight, force or importance to something else
- noun the amount which has to be put in one of the columns of an account to make the total debits and credits equal
- verb to be equal, i.e. the assets owned must always equal the total liabilities plus capital
- verb to calculate the amount needed to make the two sides of an account equal
- verb to plan a budget so that expenditure and income are equal
- noun a state in which proportions of substances are correct
- verb to stay steady, especially when resting on the centre of gravity
Cars & Driving
- verb to fix weights, e.g. to the rim of a wheel or to a crankshaft in order to correct weight distribution and thus reduce vibration
- noun the placing of text and graphics on a page in an attractive way
- A state of equilibrium reached through the equating of the forces which counter each other.
- The equalization or symmetry between one or more variables among circuits, components, devices, systems, networks, or ground. For instance, the balancing of component values in order to null a bridge.
- In an aircraft, an equilibrium attained which produces a steady flight. May also refer to equilibrium with reference to a specific axis.
- A device or instrument which serves to make accurate indications of weight. A microbalance, for instance, can provide readings in the picogram range.
- The value of an account without taking into consideration unrealized capital gains or losses.
International Finance: Basic balance is an alternative to the conventional way of measuring a country's balance of payments. It combines both current account and capital account balances, thus offering a better long-term view of a country's balance of payments.
Information & Library Science
- verb a financial term meaning to keep expenditure equal to income
- noun the arrangement of elements such as text, illustrations etc on a page
- noun a remaining or outstanding amount, e.g. the amount of a mortgage that remains to be paid
- noun the act of staying upright and in a controlled position, not stumbling or falling
- noun a state of emotional and mental stability in which somebody is calm and able to make rational decisions and judgments
- the quality in wine in which each element contributes to the overall experience with no one element dominating. The key elements include sweetness, acidity, tannin, alcohol and fruit. The balance of these elements in a wine will change as the wine ages, so a fine wine might start out of balance and gradually change into a perfectly balanced, great wine.