- noun a loan where the last repayment is larger than the others
- noun a large bag inflatable with hot air or gas to provide lift, but without power
- noun a large final payment on a loan, after a number of periodic smaller loans
- verb to hit the ball high in the air but without sufficient force for it to carry a great distance, typically by playing a mistimed shot; the ball ‘floats’ upwards like a balloon and usually presents the fielding side with an easy catch
Citation ‘They had England’s sixth wicket record for the taking when Botham … ballooned Cairns into the covers after they had added 232’
(John Thicknesse, Cricketer
Citation ‘A miscued sweep ballooned to slip from his boot and a video deliberation was necessary to determine whether it had touched the ground’
- noun the rounded space on a cartoon picture where the text of a character’s speech or thoughts is printed.
- noun a bag of light material inflated with air or a gas, used to unblock arteries
- noun a large bag filled with gas to make it rise in the air.
- noun a circle containing the words ‘spoken’ by a character in a cartoon
- noun a boastful or loudmouthed individual, a blowhard or puff-bucket. The term is heard particularly in the Scottish Lowlands and the north of England.
- noun a large round object which is inflated
- noun a brandy glass with a wide body tapering to a narrower mouth