- noun a structure that prevents something going from one place to another.
- noun something such as a wall that prevents the movement of something else
- noun something that prevents a person from making progress
- noun anything which makes it difficult for someone to do something, especially to send goods from one place to another
- noun something which restricts commercial activity, such as laws restricting movement of capital or labour
- A device, structure, or material that obstructs or impedes. For instance, an insulator serving as a barrier to electricity.
- In a semiconductor, the region of a pn junction that is free, or depleted, of charge carriers. This is a deprecated term, as are barrier layer, barrier region, or blocking layer. depletion layer, or space charge layer are the more proper terms to use for this concept.
- noun an obstacle which prevents forward movement