- noun a level or standard against which increases or decreases can be measured
- noun a point or level which is important, and can be used as a reference when making evaluations or assessments
- noun a point in an index which is important, and can be used to compare with other figures
- A standard which serves for comparison, or a reference point from where measurements can be made.
- In computers, a test to evaluate the performance of hard- ware and/or software. For instance, it may ascertain the number of times a program can be executed per second. If a benchmark becomes widely used in the computer industry, it is considered a standard. Also called benchmark test.
Information & Library Science
- noun something of accepted quality which is used to provide a standard for comparison