- An artificially placed continuous ridge or bank of earth, usually along a roadside. Also called a shoulder.
- A ridge or bank of earth placed against a masonry wall.
- A ledge or strip of earth placed so as to support pipes or beams.
- Earthen dikes or embankments constructed to retain water on land that will be flood-irrigated.
- Earthen or paved dike-like embankments for diverting runoff water.
- A raised wall enclosing a liquid waste storage or spill area.
- An asphaltic concrete or concrete curb.
- noun an artificial bank of earth or sand used as a barrier or fortification