- noun a robot utility program that helps a user or another application carry out a particular task – e.g. a search bot will help a user search the Internet by submitting the query to several engines at once; a link bot will check that all the hyperlinks on a website are correct
- abbreviation forbeginning of tape
- A program which performs tasks, especially repetitive ones, over networks such as the Internet. Also known as robot (2). When used for searching the Internet exclusively, known as Internet robot or Internet bot.
- A program which searches Web sites and organizes the located information. Also known as spider (1), crawler, or Web crawler.
Information & Library Science
- noun a computer program performing routine or time-consuming tasks such as searching websites automatically or semi-independently