Cars & Driving

  • noun a person who breaks up cars and sometimes other vehicles which are worn out or no longer roadworthy and will sell any reusable parts
  • noun in radial tyres, an additional cushioning layer between the belt layers and the tread, in cross-ply tyres between the carcass and the tread

Media Studies

  • noun any device such as a subtitle, which breaks up a solid piece of text to make it more accessible


  • noun a vat in which paper pulp is broken and washed before being bleached