- noun a dishonest stockbroking firm where customers’ orders to buy and sell stock are treated as bets on the rise and fall of prices
- noun a firm of brokers or dealers that sells shares that may be worthless
- noun a brokerage firm which tries to push the sale of some securities more than others
(written as Bucket Shop)An unlicensed or illegal brokerage engaged in Forex trading. Often its employees will use unscrupulous tactics to earn fees and commissions.
- noun a firm that sells cheap airline or other travel tickets
- noun an establishment selling cheap and/or low quality items in large quantities. The phrase has become a standard British colloquialism for a cut-price travel agency. The expression originated in the USA in the 1880s when it referred to share-selling operations, by analogy with cheap saloons.