- adjective destroyed or damaged by fire or heat
Cars & Driving
- adjective eroded or eaten away
- adjective terrible, hopeless. A teenage vogue term of the late 1980s which is an extension of the earlier slang senses of cheated or ‘burnt out’.
- noun glass. The term is a shortened form of the London rhyming slang ‘burnt grass’, meaning glass, or ‘burnt cinder’, meaning winder (window). It is used in the jargon of criminals and glaziers, decorators, etc. to refer to glass panels in windows and doors. The word was cited as an example of the jargon of cat burglars recorded in FHM magazine in April 1996.
- used to describe a wine that has a smoky or toasted taste
- used to describe overripe grapes