- noun an alternative pipe, channel, etc.
Cars & Driving
- noun a road going round and thus avoiding a town or other congested area
- noun the means such as a passage through which the flow of a liquid or gas is redirected in place of its original or main course
- noun an alternative route around a component or device, usually a faulty one, so that it is not used
- A pipe or duct used to divert flow around an element.
- A pipe used to divert flow around another pipe or piping system.
- A low impedance path which allows a current to flow around one or more circuits or components, as opposed to through it. This path may be intentionally or unintentionally created. Also, to create such a path. Also called shunt (2).
- In telecommunications, avoiding the use of the local telephone company as a transmission pathway. A satellite, for instance, may serve as an alternative route.
- noun a surgical operation to redirect the blood, usually using a grafted blood vessel and usually performed when one of the person’s own blood vessels is blocked
- noun a new route for the blood created by a bypass operation
- noun a road which passes around the outside of a town (in order to avoid going through the centre)
- verb to move past an enemy position without engaging it
- noun a road which goes round a town
- verb to avoid a place, especially a busy or congested place, by taking a route around it