- noun an electronic machine which works out the answers to numerical problems
- noun an electronic machine for making calculations
(written as Calculator)a software utility that is supplied with Windows, works just like an ordinary calculator and is started by double-clicking on the Calculator icon in the Accessories group
- A device which performs arithmetic operations. It can only accept numerical input, which is keyed in, and displays and/or prints its results. Almost all calculators can store numbers in memory, many provide additional functions such as logarithms and square-root calculations, and some are programmable. The term usually refers to handheld or portable devices, but these can be encountered elsewhere, for instance, as a virtual calculator on a computer screen. Also called calculating machine.
- synonymcalculating machine
Information & Library Science
- noun an electronic device for working out the answers to numerical problems