- noun a compact disc that can have its contents erased and something else recorded onto it many times
- Abbreviation of compact disc-rewritable. A CD technology which allows discs to be rewritten many times. A laser records the desired content, forming the equivalent of pits on the recordable surface by altering the reflectivity of a dye layer. When such a disc is placed in a player, its laser pickup reads the patterns as if they had been permanently stamped into its metallic surface. Also called CD-erasable, CD-E, or rewritable CD.
- acronym forcompact disc-RW
- acronym forcompact disc-rewritable
- acronym forcompact disc rewritable