- A telecommunications system in which mobile, usually portable, telephones are linked to a land telephone network via microwave radio frequency signals. Individual cell sites provide coverage to a limited area, called a cell, while networks of cell sites provide coverage to large geographical areas. At any given point within the cellular network, the system decides which cell site can provide the best signal to a mobile unit, and as the unit moves, the signal is transferred to the next cell site with the best signal. Also called by various other terms, including cellular mobile telephone system, cellular mobile communications, cellular mobile telecommunications, cellular telephony, and mobile cellular communications.
- synonymcellular mobile
- synonymcellular mobile radio
- synonymcellular mobile telecommunications
- synonymcellular mobile telephone system
- synonymcellular mobile telephony
- synonymcellular phone system
- synonymcellular telephone
- synonymcellular telephone system
- synonymcellular telephony
- A mobile telephone used for cellular communications.