- noun the process of obtaining or giving approval for something such as carrying out a particular type of test, or of obtaining a certificate to prove that something is what it claims to be
- noun the act of giving an official certificate of approval
- An attestation of competency in a given area of expertise, such as networking devices, computer security, or computer operating systems.
- The process involved in obtaining certification (1).
- An attestation that a given hardware or software product fulfills certain requirements, such as providing a given degree of security, or compatibility with standards.