- noun a person who is in charge of a meeting and holds the casting vote
- noun a person who presides over meetings of a committee of the House of Commons or of a local council
- noun somebody who presides over the board meetings of a company
- noun a person who is in charge of the board meetings of a company
- In British music hall, the master of ceremonies whointroduced the acts with a bang of his gavel accompanied by livelypatter and witty comments to the audience. The role had mostly disappearedby the end of the 19th century.