- noun the value of exponent in a floating point number
- noun a measurement or property of a component
- A measurable feature that helps describe and distinguish components, circuits, devices, systems, materials, and so on.
- In a floating-point number, the second part, which specifies power to which the base is raised. For example, in 1.234 × 1056, the characteristic is 56. The first part, or 1.234, is the mantissa (2).
- The integer portion of a logarithm. The decimal part is the mantissa (1). For example, if a logarithm of a given number equals 1.2345, the characteristic is 1, while .2345 is the mantissa.
Information & Library Science
- noun a typical feature of a person, place or thing
- noun a quality which allows something to be recognised as different