Cars & Driving
- noun a protective device which can be reset; it breaks an electric circuit to prevent damage when the circuit is overloaded or overheated by excess current flow
- noun a device which protects equipment by cutting off the electrical supply when conditions are abnormal
- An electrical device for discontinuing current flow during an abnormal condition. Unlike a fuse, a circuit breaker becomes reusable by resetting a switch. See also automatic circuit breaker.
- A device which automatically opens a circuit under specified conditions, such as a current exceeding a set amount. If it resets itself after another condition is met, such as the passing of a given time period, then it is an automatic circuit breaker. Its abbreviation is CB.
- noun an electrical device used to interrupt an electrical supply when there is too much current flow