- noun a covering of paint, etc.
Cars & Driving
- noun the action of applying a layer of material to a surface
- A one or more materials which are applied as an outer, finishing, or protective layer. For instance, an electroplated layer, or a magnetic coating on recording tape.
- The application of a coating (1).
- noun the act of treating paper with a mixture of clay and size.
- noun abuse, insults. This use of the word has been recorded since the 1990s among middle-aged speakers and either refers to the grabbing by the lapels, or is based on the notion of pasting and the colloquial slang sense of ‘paint’ (to beat up). The archaic verb to ‘coat’ was also recorded in Britain and Australia in the sense of to reprimand.