- noun the amount of light and dark in something seen
- noun a control knob on a display that alters the difference between black and white tones or between colours
- On a display screen, such as that of a computer or TV, the difference in brightness between the lightest and darkest areas. Also called screen contrast (2).
- In optical character recognition, differences in qualities such as color or shading, which help distinguish a character from the background.
Information & Library Science
- noun a big difference between two things which is clear when they are compared
- noun the effect created when very different things such as colours, shades or textures are placed near or next to each other
- noun the different levels of brightness and darkness in a single image or moving image