- noun the damage caused to metals, e.g. by the effects of water, air or chemicals
- noun erosion of rocks by the action of chemicals or the weather
Cars & Driving
- noun a chemical process in which a metal is eaten away, such as the oxidation of iron and steel; otherwise known as rusting
- The oxidation or eating away of a metal or other material by exposure to chemical or electrochemical action such as rust.
- The gradual disintegration of a metal or alloy as a consequence of chemical reactions with its surrounding environment, such as the oxidation of iron due to the moisture present in air. Corrosion is accelerated by the presence of acids and/or bases.
- noun a process in which the surface of a material, generally a metal, is changed by the action of moisture, air or a chemical