General English

  • noun a mark made in cloth by ironing
  • verb to make folds accidentally in something

Cars & Driving

  • noun a ridge produced by folding of the metal either as part of the design or as a result of accident damage


  • noun any of the lines marked on the ground at each end of the pitch and used to indicate the limits of a batsman’s ground or the area within which a bowler may fairly deliver the ball. These are the bowling crease and the popping crease , both of which are mentioned in the original (1744) code of Laws, and the return crease, which makes its first appearance in the 1774 code.
    Citation ‘He bounded from the crease … and was just in time at the end of this manoeuvre to smite the ball as it bounced and send it hurtling to the pavilion’ (P.G. Wodehouse, Reginald’s Record Knock 1909)


  • noun a fold in paper or board, made intentionally
  • verb to put a fold into paper or board usually by impressing a line
  • verb to put a wrong fold into flat paper


  • noun the anus, buttocks, the female genital area. The vulgarism, in use especially in the northwest of England, is often heard in phrases such as ‘a kick up the crease’.


  • noun any of various lines that demarcate the wicket, especially the popping crease
  • noun the rectangular area in front of an ice hockey goal

Origin & History of “crease”

Crease and crest are ultimately the same word. The ridges produced by creasing cloth were regarded as similar to ridges or crests, and so the word crease (often creast in late middle English) came to be applied to them. The loss of the final -t may have been due to the mistaken analysis of creast or crest as the past form of a verb.