- noun a diagram made to show the inside of something, as if it had been cut through
- noun a typical group of people
- noun a typical representative range
- noun a measure of the effective area or size of an atom or nucleus that represents a target for interaction with another particle or radiation prior to fission or ionisation
- noun a view of an object seen as if cut through
Cars & Driving
- noun (written as cross section)a view of an object when cut transversely at right angles across its centre
- (written as cross section)A diagram or illustration showing the internal construction of a part or assembly if the front portion were removed.
- (written as cross section)A section formed by cutting an object through an axis, usually at a right angle to said axis. For instance, such a section in a wire or a waveguide.
- (written as cross section)A graphical representation of a cross section (1).
Information & Library Science
- noun a representative sample of a group of people or things
- noun a small part of something, taken to be representative of the whole
- noun a sample cut across a specimen for examination under a microscope