- noun the use of codes and ciphers, especially as a way of restricting access to part or all of a website, so that only a user with a key can read the information
- noun the study of encryption and decryption methods and techniques
- The science of coding information so that only the intended recipients can understand it. All aspects of the security of communications are investigated, such as the issue of message interception. Its abbreviation is crypto.
Information & Library Science
- noun coded or secret writing
- noun the act of transferring messages into code so that the information can only be accessed by the appropriate people