General English


  • noun a small piece of a plant from which a new plant will grow


  • noun a piece cut out of a publication which refers to an item of particular interest

Information & Library Science

  • noun a reference to a client, company or author in a newspaper or magazine, which is cut out of the paper and filed for reference

Media Studies

  • noun the technique of moving from one shot to another when editing a film
  • noun the process of editing a text, film or recording
  • noun an article, photograph or other piece that has been cut out of a newspaper or other publication


  • noun a man-made channel allowing a road or railway to pass through an area of high ground.


  • a piece cut from a vine that grows into a new vine. These pieces are usually cut from dormant vines in the winter and propagated in the spring.