- The flat-bottomed groove cut into one board (usually across the grain) to receive the end of another. If the groove is cut at the edge of a board, it is called a rabbet.
- An ornamental paneling above the baseboard of a room finish.
- Part of a column between the base and the cap or cornice.
- noun the lower part of an interior wall, decorated or faced in a different manner from the upper part, usually with panels, paint or wallpaper
- noun a rectangular groove cut into a board so that a matching piece can be fitted into it to form a joint
- verb to fit a wall with a dado
- verb to cut a rectangular groove in something so that a matching piece can be fitted into it to form a joint