- noun a device to decrease or reduce something
Cars & Driving
- noun any device which reduces oscillations (either mechanical or electrical) or vibration, such as a shock absorber in the suspension, or a vibration damper on the crankshaft.
- A blade or louver within an air duct, inlet, or outlet that can be adjusted to regulate the flow of air.
- A pivotal cast iron plate positioned just below the smoke chamber of a fireplace to regulate drafts.
- A diode utilized to limit unwanted oscillations. Also called damper tube (1), damper diode (1), damping tube (1), or damping diode (1).
- In a TV receiver, a diode used to limit unwanted oscillations in the horizontal deflection circuit. Also called damper tube (2), damper diode (2), damping tube (2), or damping diode (2).
- A device which provides damping (1), or damping (3).
- synonymdamping diode
- synonymdamping tube
- noun a metal plate that controls the flow of air in a chimney