- For an underdamped vibrational system, the ratio of the amplitude of a given vibration, to that of the next vibration. For example, the ratio of the amplitude of a damped oscillation to the succeeding one. Also called damping coefficient, or damping ratio.
- The natural logarithm of the damping factor (1). Also called decrement (3), or logarithmic decrement.
- The ratio of the nominal impedance of a speaker, to the total impedance driving it. A higher damping ratio stabilizes the driven speaker, and improves its performance.
- synonymdamping coefficient
- synonymdamping ratio
- The amount or value lost through the process of gradually decreasing a quantity or variable.
- verb to subtract a set number from a variable