- noun the closing down of a blast furnace by cutting off the air supply
- The force that acts to reduce vibrations in the same way that friction acts to reduce ordinary motion.
- The gradual dissipation of energy over a period of time.
- A gradual reduction or limiting in the amplitude of a vibrating motion, such as an oscillation. Such decreases are due, for instance, to energy losses to friction. In measuring instruments, damping may be introduced to minimize oscillation or overshoot.
- The extent of the reduction in amplitude damping (1) provides.
- The reduction of the magnitude of vibration or resonance of a surface or material, in order to reduce or eliminate sound waves. Also called acoustic damping, or soundproofing.