- noun a unit for measuring the power of a sound or the strength of a signal. The decibel scale is logarithmic.
- noun a unit for comparing two power levels, especially the relative loudness of different sounds or relative strength of electrical signals.
- The standard unit of measurement for the loudness of sound.
- In closed-circuit television, a numerical unit used to express the difference in power levels, usually between acoustic or electric signals.
- noun a unit of measurement of the loudness of sound, used to compare different levels of sound.