- noun a workspace on a computer screen that is a graphical representation of a desktop, with icons for items such as a telephone, diary, calculator, and filing cabinet
- adjective able to be placed on a desk
- noun a GUI workspace that is a graphical representation of a real-life desktop, with icons for telephone, diary, calculator, and filing cabinet
- A representation of a desktop, displayed on a computer monitor, in which a user can manipulate icons and organize tasks as if it were a real desktop. Such icons may include programs, files, shortcuts to network connections, and so on.
Information & Library Science
- noun a display on a computer screen comprising background and icons representing equipment, programs and files
- noun the way that a computer screen has been designed to simulate the traditional desk layout, with tools for writing, drawing, making calculations etc.
- adjective relating to something that sits on top of a desk or that can be done on a desk