- noun medical treatment which helps people to stop taking drugs or drinking too much alcohol
- noun the process of stopping taking drugs or drinking alcohol
- verb to stop taking harmful substances in order to improve your health
- noun (to undertake) a course of withdrawal from ‘hard’ drugs or alcohol; a detoxification, to detoxify. A term from health workers’ jargon which is now standard among drug users and patients.
- noun a medical facility in which alcoholics or drug addicts are detoxified