- noun a television that can receive and decode television images and audio sent as digital data, then displayed on a standard screen
- A TV system which employs digital encoding in the transmission and reception of TV signals. Before transmission, signals are digitally compressed, to incorporate picture and sound of superior quality. This information is decompressed by the receiving device before viewing. direct broadcast satellite systems, for instance, use this technology. Also called digital TV system.
- A device, such as a TV receiver, which is compatible with digital TV (1). An example of such a device is an HDTV receiver.
- synonymdigital television
- synonymdigital advanced television
- synonymdigital advanced television system
- synonymdigital television system
- noun television broadcasting in which the picture is transmitted in digital form and decoded at the television receiver.
- noun a television set specially constructed or adapted for receiving digital signals