- To separate two or more entities which were united. Also, such an instance.
- The breaking apart of a molecule into simpler constituents. For instance, in electrolytic dissociation, a molecule is broken up into 2 or more ions.
- noun the separation of parts or functions
- noun a condition in which part of the consciousness becomes separated from the rest and becomes independent
- noun the act of ignoring irrelevant stimuli such as crowd noise when competing so as to better concentrate on the game