General English

Cars & Driving

  • noun a hinged panel or flap allowing access or exit



  • noun the piece of wood, metal, or other material which closes the entrance to a building or room

Real Estate

  • noun a movable barrier used to open and close the entrance to a building, room or cupboard, usually a solid panel hinged to or sliding in a frame
  • noun the gap that forms the entrance to a building or room


  • noun a barrier of wood, glass or metal, which closes an entrance

Origin & History of “door”

Old English had two closely related words for ‘door’: duru (mirrored by German tür ‘door’) and dor (which corresponds to German tor ‘gate’). they gradually came together during the middle English period. both go back ultimately to the Indo-European base *dhwer-, which also produced Greek thúrū ‘door’ (source of English thyroid), Latin foris ‘door’ (source of English foreign and forest) and forum, Sanskrit dvar- ‘door’, Russian dver’ ‘door’, Lithuanian dùrys ‘gate’, etc.