double take


General English


  • The actor's device, often used for comic effect, of lookingaway from a person who has addressed a remark to you, and then lookingback quickly as though the meaning of the remark has just sunk in.In the so-called double take and fade away the startled reactionis followed by a slow drawing back of the head.