- adverb in the direction of flow, or further along the line of flow
- adjective referring to the operations of a company at the end of a process (such as selling petrol through garages considered as an operation of a petroleum company).
- noun the transmission of data on a network away from a central distribution point
- In communications, the direction of the flow of information from a content provider to a customer. For example, an ADSL connection may feature a transmission rate of over 10 Mbps when a file is downloaded. Generally utilized in the context of data transfer, but may also refer to other signals from providers, such as cable TV. This contrasts with upstream, where the flow of information is in the other direction.
- adverb in the direction in which a river or stream is flowing