Duke of York's Theatre
- A theater on St Martin's Lane, London. It opened in 1892 asthe Trafalgar Square Theatre, a name that was shortened to the TrafalgarTheatre two years later. It received its present name in 1895 in honourof the future King George V. From 1897 it was managed by Charles Frohman,Marie Tempest, Gerald Du Maurier, and Irene Vanbrugh, all of whomacted in productions. Frohman produced several of J. M. Barrie's plays,including Peter Pan (1904), which was revived each Christmasuntil 1914. Other Barrie plays first staged at the Duke of York'sincluded The Admirable Crichton (1902) and What Every WomanKnows (1908).
From 1923 to 1928 the venue was managed by Violet Melnotte,who presented the revue London Calling, written mostly by NoëlCoward. The Duke of York's was occupied by The People's National Theatrefrom 1933 to 1936. The theater's longest run was Is Your HoneymoonReally Necessary?, which opened in 1944 for 980 performances.Later successes have included Frank Marcus's The Killing of SisterGeorge (1965), Alan Ayckbourn's Relatively Speaking (1967),and Arthur Miller's The Price (1969).
In 1979 the Duke of York's became the first London theater to be ownedby a commercial radio station when Capital Radio purchased it during the runof Michael Frayn's comedy Clouds and closed it for refurbishment. Thetheater, which reopened in 1980, is now owned by the Ambassador's TheatreGroup. Recent successes include Conor McPherson's The Weir(1997 - 2000), the Gaiety Theatre, Dublin's production of Stones inHis Pockets (2001) by Marie Jones, and Tom Stoppard's Rock 'n' Roll(2006), which transferred from the Royal Court.